Ellwood City was
founded in 1892 by developer Henry Watters Hartman. The borough was named
after Isaac L. Ellwood, one of the inventors of barbed wire.
The community grew
rapidly with the development of a strong industrial base fostered in
large part by the development of the seamless tube industry. The
first seamless steel tubes in America were pierced in Ellwood City in
June of 1895 by inventor and engineer Ralph C. Stiefel.
The first seamless
tube company, Ellwood Weldless Tube Company, made
seamless tubing for the bicycle industry. This firm was later acquired
by the Shelby Tube Company that was the nucleus of the national tube
division of United States Steel.
Frank Patton seated in the wagon.
A.M. Eshelman at B & O passenger station 1910.
First car on the Pittsburgh Division
PHNC & Butler Railway Company.
The influx of "new
Americans" from Italy, Germany, and other European regions added a
diverse ethnicity to the Ellwood City population. Lawrence County
continues to have the largest Italian population of any county in the
state of Pennsylvania.
The community of
Ellwood City today is blessed with a fine public school system, a
diversity of churches, safe neighborhoods, and the vast majority of
the citizens owning their own homes.
Borough of Ellwood
City, 525 Lawrence Avenue, Ellwood City, PA 16117 (724) 758-7777
website designed and hosted by Thought Process Enterprises